Divine Providence Village has a full time activities coordinator who welcomes help from volunteers - both individuals and groups.
Socialization and Recreation Program
The Socialization and Recreation Program is designed to provide a variety of activities to enhance individual skills and interests for adults with developmental disabilities. The social and recreational activities provide a valuable method in which an individual can learn, grow and be challenged in an enjoyable and creative way. The program offers small group and individualized attention.
Some activities that we offer are as follows:
- Athletics: Aerobics, Jazzercise, Stretching, Relaxation, Swimming, Walking & Toning. These activities increase physical endurance, improve coordination, provide group interaction, and create a sense of well being.
- Aesthetics: Nail care, manicures, make-up, lotion application, hand massage, hair styling, etc... The aesthetic activities are essential in teaching proper grooming, skills, while offering a fun activity that makes everyone feel special.
- Art/Crafts/Horticulture: Drawing, Painting, Mask making, Puppetry, Flower arranging, card making, Ceramics, wreaths, planters, jewelry, kite making, gardening, etc... The primary focus for the arts is to increase motor skills, eye-hand coordination, creative problem solving, color/size/shape identification and enjoy creating.
- Cooking: Pizza, Candy making, Baking, etc... Cooking provides the skills needed for independent living by increasing the ability to measure, mix, preparation & clean up. After the meal is prepared, everyone can enjoy their hard work!
- Music: Rhythm sticks, ukulele, karaoke, drums, tambourine, etc... We provide music activities to groups and to individuals. We offer music for enjoyment and with a potential public performance.
- Outings: Philadelphia Zoo, Museums, Parks, shopping, galleries, historical sites, amusement parks, theaters, malls, restaurants, etc... The community outings increase social interaction, community awareness, proper social behavior, and cultural & educational enrichment.